Call us +614 0510 8899


  • Anakie 3213
  • Armstrong 3377
  • Armstrong Creek 3217
  • Avalon 3212
  • Balliang 3340
  • Barwon Heads 3227
  • Batesford 3213
  • Bell Park 3215
  • Bell Post Hill 3215
  • Bellarine 3223
  • Belmont 3216
  • Breakwater 3219
  • Breamlea 3227
  • Ceres 3221
  • Charlemont 3217
  • Clifton Springs 3222
  • Connewarre 3227
  • Corio 3214
  • Colac 3250
  • Cressy 3322
  • Curlewis 3222
  • Drumcondra 3215
  • Drysdale 3222
  • East Geelong 3219
  • Fyansford 3218
  • Geelong city centre 3220
  • Geelong West 3218
  • Grovedale 3216
  • Hamlyn Heights 3215
  • Herne Hill 3218
  • Highton 3216
  • Indented Head 3223
  • Lara 3212
  • Leopold 3224
  • Little River 3211
  • Lovely Banks 3213
  • Manifold Heights 3218
  • Marcus Hill 3222
  • Marshall 3216
  • Meredith 3333
  • Moolap 3224
  • Moorabool 3213
  • Mount Duneed 3217
  • Newcomb 3219
  • Newtown 3220
  • Norlane 3214
  • North Geelong 3215
  • North Shore 3214
  • Ocean Grove 3226
  • Point Lonsdale 3225
  • Point Wilson 3212
  • Portarlington 3223
  • Rippleside 3215
  • St Albans Park 3219
  • St Leonards 3223
  • South Geelong 3220
  • Staughton Vale 3340
  • Stonehaven 3218
  • Swan Bay 3225
  • Thomson 3219
  • Torquay 3228
  • Wallington 3222
  • Wandana Heights 3216
  • Waurn Ponds 3216
  • Werribee 3030
  • Whittington 3219
Tuesday, 20
See 7-Day Forecast

Geelong Region Videos

Geelong Botanical Gardens

Cunningham Pier

National Wool Museum

Bellarine Rail Trail

Little Creatures Brewing

Old Geelong Gaol

Geelong Region Local History

The Geelong Region and Bellarine Peninsular

was originally inhabited by Wathaurong Indigenous Australians.

1802, 1st Feb., Lt John Murray,

commander of HMS Lady Nelson, sent a small boat of 6 men led by John Bowen. They returned to ship 4 Feb, with favourable findings, resulting in Lady Nelson entering Port Phillip on 14 Feb and did not leave until 12 March. Murray claimed the entire area for Britain. He named the bay Port King after Philip Gidley King then Governor of New South Wales who later renamed the bay Port Philip after first Gov of New South Wales Arthur Phillip.

1841 Geelong Region's first wool

was sent to England and a regular steamer service was running between Geelong and Melbourne.

1803 Jan. Surveyor General Charles Grimes,

arrived Port Phillip in sloop “Cumberland and mapped the area including the future site of Geelong but reported the area was unfavourable for settlement. In October the HMS Calcutta led by Lt, Col. David Collins arrived in the bay to establish the Sullivan Bay Penal Colony. Collins was dissatisfied with the area chosen.

1824,16 Dec,Hume and Hovell,

where the next Europeans to explore the Geelong region.

1835, Convict William Buckley,

escaped Sullivan Bay in 1803 and lived with the Wathaurong people for 32 years until surrendering in 1835. He was later pardoned by Lieutant-Gov. Sir George Arthur and subsequently given the position of native interpreter.

1836, March, Three Geelong Region Squatters,

David Fisher, James Strachan and George Russell arrived and settled the region which was first surveyed by Assist.Surveyor W.H.Smythe. There was already a church, hotel, store, wool store and 82 houses. The town population was 545.

1837 Geelong's first local police magistrate,

Captain Foster Fyans was commissioned.He established himself on the Barwon River at the present day “Fyansford”.

1840 Geelong Advertiser Newspaper

first published by James Harrison who also built the world's first ether vapor compression cycle ice-making & refrigeration machine in 1844.

1845 The Geelong Keys

were discovered by Governor Charles La Trobe on Corio Bay. They were embedded in the stone in such a way that he believed they had been there for 100-150 years, possibly dropped by Portuguese explorers.

1849 Inaugural Mayor of Geelong Town Council

Captain Fyans was nominated. Early settler Alexander Thomson, settled on the Barwon River and was Mayor of Geelong on five occasions from 1850 to 1858.

1851 Gold Discovered in nearby Ballarat

causing the Geelong Region population to grow to 23,000 by mid 1850s.

1852 The Geelong Hospital

was opened.

1853 Port of Geelong

development began with the creation of the first shipping channel in Corio Bay

1855 Construction of Geelong Town Hall


1857 Geelong to Melbourne Railway

was built.

1859 Rabbits introduced to Australia

by Thomas Austin who imported them from England for hunting purposes at his Barwon Park property near Winchelsea.

1861 Geelong's best known department stores

“Bright and Hitchcocks” was established

1864 HM Prison Geelong

built with convict labour, opened.

1866 “Geelong Register” Newspaper

started by Graham Berry as a rival to the established “Geelong Advertiser”. This proved unsuccessful, so he bought the “Advertiser” and made himself the editor of the two merged newspapers which he used as a platform to be elected for West Geelong in 1869.

1868 Victoria's First Woollen Mill

opened at South Geelong.

1869 Geelong's Fire at Yarra St Pier.

The clipper “Lightning” caught fire and was cast adrift in Corio Bay to burn and finally sunk by artillery fire.

1872 The Geelong Cup

was first held

1877 Graham Berry switched to Geelong

electorate which he represented until 1886 and served as Victorian Premier in 1875, 1877-1880 and 1880-1881.

1879 Geelong Exhibition Building

was opened.

1910,8 Dec, The Town of Geelong Officially a City

and gained a number of essential services, with electric light, water and sewerage. Industry began.

If you have better videos, historical pics or content please submit to

Geelong Region Local News Coming Soon...

Geelong Region Local Community Notice Board Coming Soon…

Geelong Region Local Employment

Geelong Region Local Events

Geelong Region Weather Forecast

H: +14°
L: +11°
Tuesday, 20 August
See 7-Day Forecast

Geelong Region Local Classifieds